Photographing is fun, artistic, free, but if we ignore the organization of our digital photos, as time passes, we will accumulate photographs without rhyme or reason, until we finish with the digital version of that closet we talked about at the beginning.
If you only go through life storing your photos on your PC, MAC or Laptop, you are taking a great risk. Make a backup copy of your photos stored on an external hard drive and USB flash drive explicitly dedicated to this purpose.
These portable devices are compact and also have large storage capacity. They serve excellently as a backup to your information. It’s not that no calamity befalls these devices, but you’re much less likely to run out of your photos if they exist in two different places at once. Here, we have highlighted the best way to store digital photos long term.
This has happened with all of us. Many a time we all have lost our important pictures and videos. They were some of the important moments in our life that we never used to get back. Not anymore! We’ve found a tool that helps you find missing pictures and videos on your computer almost instantly.
The PhotoStick – It offers easy and secure backup of all your photos and videos on your phone and computer. And all this in just a few minutes. Done21 has created this complete guide that covers everything which will help you understand What is ThePhotoStick? and how does Photostick work?
What is PhotoStick?
The Photo Stick is a USB device that provides a convenient way to backup files in seconds. The USB device contains a builtin app that searches through all the folders of your computer to find images & videos and create a backup for you. Not only does Photo stick work on photos & videos, but it can also find documents. The device works automatically, it’s easy for those with limited tech experience to use.
Only those who have lost pictures and videos due to hard drive failure knows the pain of losing a special moment. Not just the hard drive failure, a spilt drink or a power surge can also cause system error and make you lose your precious memories.
One of the great things about the photo stick is that it also functions as an organizer. Normally, you’d have to sort and search for duplicates among all your photos. But the photo stick can automatically filter duplicates so you can save some storage space. So there are no more excuses for avoiding photo backup because all you have to do is click ‘GO’, sit back, and wait for this nifty thumb drive to organize your files for you.
The Photo stick only comes in three types of capacity: 8 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB. The higher the number, the more pictures it can save. 8 GB can keep up to 3500 videos and pictures; the 64 GB Photo Stick can reach 30,000 pictures and video, while the 128 GB can archive a maximum of 60,000 pictures and videos. They all come with a standard USB entry.
Most of us have seen and used old film cameras. We used to capture all the important moments in our life. Today, old film cameras have been replaced by digital cameras and phones. We all love to record our special moments during a vacation or a party and love to look back on them in the future.
ThePhotoStick is designed to offer easy and secure backup of all your photos and videos on your phone and computer. ThePhotoStick looks like a flash drive and is also well known as Photo Stick and Photostick.
The PhotoStick has its own software that automatically scans, finds, organizes and then backs up photos, videos and even documents scattered all over your computer.
The Photo Stick has come in three sizes. Here they are:
- The smallest size has 8 GB of storage and can hold up to 3,500 photographs
- The medium size has 64 GB of storage and can hold up to 30,000 photographs
- The Large Size has 128GB of Storage and Can Hold up to 60,000 Photographs
What is The PhotoStick System Requirements
ThePhotoStick works on the following Operating Systems:
- Windows – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
- Mac – Mac OS X Version 10.7 and later.
The Photo Stick is specially designed to find all the hidden photos and videos on your laptop or computer. Just plug it in and select “Go”. It’ll take about 10-20 minutes to work its magic. It’s going through all of the folders and files in your entire computer to make sure it doesn’t miss a thing. Afterward, it deletes all duplicate files, so you don’t have to delete them yourself.
Just unplug the Photo Stick and you’re good to go! All the photos and videos are now on that device. You can then put the photos on a different computer to share them with friends, or to print them!
- Fast and automatic – Without this savvy photograph reinforcement, you’d need to sit before the PC and physically select which photographs you need to keep. At that point you’d need to make envelopes and mark them. Such an issue! Utilizing this device, however, doesn’t take an excessive amount of time. You can leave your PC and still perform different assignments. It has worked in programming that is amazingly simple to utilize, so even the individuals who aren’t so nerd can utilize it as well.
- Compatible with all media formats – Whether it’s JPEG, PNG, JPG, or MP3, this gadget will save all of your photos and videos. Yes, including those photos you burned in CDs that are probably accumulating dust mites somewhere. You can store old and recent photos in one small stick and access them easily.
- One-click backup – Unlike backing your files in cloud storage, it doesn’t require setting up an account or installing the software. All you have to do is plug the thumb drive into the port, click the ‘GO’ button, and wait for it to finish backing up. You can even grab a coffee and be productive while waiting.
- No Internet Required – If you have no Wi-Fi? It’s not a problem! You can back up your files anytime, anywhere even without the internet. It’s not like cloud storage that won’t work unless you’re connected to the internet. This gadget works just like a hard drive, except that it’s more portable and specially designed for photos and videos alone. Plus, you can store up to 60,000 photos!
- Simple To Use – Even if you are not that sound working on the computer, still you can use this easily without taking anyone’s help. Thus, gift it to your parents, and they can keep on seeing your pictures, videos without any tension of backup.
- Works perfectly on all devices – It only works on your computer but also on your smartphones and tabs. It works perfectly on iPad, iPod Touch also. You only need to insert the ThePhotoStick Mobile to the device on which you want to use to get it started!
- Easily Transfer your Files To Your Computer – You have 2 options, you can keep the files on the PhotoStick Mobile or plug it into the USB of your computer to transfer them on it.
- It helps in organizing and searching for the files without you being involved in the procedure.
- Use PhotoStick to remove the duplicate files to optimize the storage space.
- There is no requirement of any monthly cloud subscription or encryption for this device.
Distinctive Characteristics of ThePhotoStick
- It searches as well as organizes all the files.
- It instantly scans, discovers and removes duplicates so that you can save on memory.
- Quick file backup – 1000s of images and video files within a few minutes.
- Data on the USB can be opened from a PC or a Mac.
- Backup of your photos is at your convenience and disposal. You can save as many times as you want.
- It doesn’t require any passwords or cloud backups. Not necessary to know the location of files and folders.
- It is a one-time investment.
Technical Specifications of The Photo Stick
You should let the photo stick do the job for you instead of wasting hours filtering through your files, and going through duplicates.
The photo stick has the technology of plug-and-play, meaning that all you need to do is plug it into your computer and hit the button when prompted. No other method of backup is that easy.
Since the minimum capacity will accommodate up to 60,000 images, a Photo Stick is preferable to disk storage.
It can save a wide array of file types, including both photographs and videos. You can save MOV, JPEG, PNG, GIF, MPEG 4, as well as BMP, TIFF, and AVI files easily.
The Photo Stick is compatible with older and new machines running a Windows operating system, as opposed to its predecessors. This works on both Windows XP, Vista and 7 series, and new Windows 8 and 10 versions. You’ll also be doing it on a Mac running at least 10.6 versions of any OS. This is perfect for use in that old computer you had in college or high school. As long as you run one of those operating systems and have a USB port, you can restore all your old videos and pictures using it.
What are the benefits of using this photo backup?
Monthly expenses. With this photo storage stick, you can avoid paying monthly for cloud storage. You’ll only pay one time upon purchasing the gadget, and that’s it. Or if you’re using cloud storage, you can avoid paying for extra storage that your photos would have taken up. Instead, you can use it for other, more important files.
Productivity. All those hours that you allocated for sorting and organizing files would have been more useful if you did other productive tasks. Avoid spending hours on file organization by using this photostick.
Security. Avoid the pain and frustration of losing your precious photos just because you failed to back them all up. Keep it all safe from computer crashes or corruptions by doing constant photo backup using this stick.
What Are the Other Extensions Compatible with ThePhotoStick?
Aside from the MOV, JPG, PNG, and MPEG4, Photo Stick is compatible with other extensions. These can include the following: GIF, TIFF, PCT, ICO, BMP, AVI, RAW, WMV, and MOV.
Extensions Compatible With Photostick
- Camera Raw
- PCT File
What is The Difference Between Photostick and the Photostick mobile?
As the name suggests the photostick is normally used on PCs and laptops. But the photostick mobile is used specifically on mobile phones to create a backup. This hardware device is a perfect solution to keep your photos safe for a long time to come. Additionally, ‘photostick mobile’ also saves a great deal of phone memory, allowing you to click away at your heart’s content.
Now, that we know the basics, you must be asking yourself, “Why a photostick and why not the cloud or the convenient hard-drive?
Well, the photostick is an external hard drive but better than our traditional hard drive. A hard-drive has a delicate build making it prone to damage. And cloud storage comes with a space constraint and is at risk with the hackers snooping in, not to forget, requires an internet connection. You don’t want your photos landing in the wrong hands. Taking into consideration the cybersecurity factor and other external malfunctions, a photostick is our best option to store our photos.
How Does PhotoStick Work?
You already know that the PhotoStick looks like a flash drive. But what about this little gadget’s working, does it even work as an ordinary flash drive? Answer to this question is partly yes. As long as you have a USB port, you can use PhotoStick.
The Photo stick takes only two steps to function. All you have to do is to plug it into an empty USB port of your computer. Then you have to click on the “Go” on the application that automatically launches and you are done. Once you press this button, it gives the tool permission to access your hard drive.
The Photo Stick works fairly fast. Depending on the number of files on your hard drive & the size of your computer and, a full scan will take anywhere from 60 seconds to a few minutes to run. The PhotoStick finds files that you thought you lost and searches for videos and pictures. You can also use it to search for documents and music files. It will create a backup of your files that you can then access on other devices.
The main menu on the interface contains 4 options; File, Options, View, and Help. you will be able to check for software updates, customize settings, and logs.
- Status area; You will find status messages during, after and before you initiate the backup. You will be able to know the status of the backup process.
- Capacity chart; Identify the amount of space used and the remaining space available for storage.
- Back up statistics; This area provides the user with information regarding the current back up process.
- “My Photos/Videos”; This button will allow you to view all the videos and photos that are already backed up on the device.
- Settings; Clicking on the settings button will bring you the options window and available settings options.
- View Logs; This button shows the backup logs of the current and previous backups.
- Exit; Click on the exit button if you want to close the PhotoStick program.
- “Go!”; Clicking on the Go button initiates the backup process of your videos and photos.
The PhotoStick is just like a USB flash drive that connects to any available port on your computer. Just make sure your computer is up and running.
- Once you insert the PhotoStick in your computer’s USB port, it will take a few seconds and then a window will pop up.
- This window will only have one single button in the center that has “Go” in the middle.
- Pressing this “Go” button gives the tool permission to access your hard drive.
- The PhotoStick scans your hard drive to even find the files that you thought you lost.
- This process will take anywhere from 60 seconds to a few minutes. It depends on the number of files your hard drive has.
- You can use PhotoStick to search for photos, videos, documents and music files.
- You can create backup of all these files to access on any other device.
How to Run PhotoStick on Your computer (Step by Step guide)
Insert the PhotoStick into the USB port of the computer. Mostly all the windows based computers shall identify the device and a pop-up window for file explorer will open on its own.
If automatically, the File Explorer window has not opened, then follow these steps:-
- Go to ‘This PC’
- Double-click on the PhotoStick which shall be listed under devices and drives.
- Double-click on ThePhotoStickWindows.exe to install the application.
- When the installation is completed, it will be launched automatically.
If you want to use the PhotoStick on the Mac desktop or laptop, follow the following steps to use it effectively: –
- Insert the PhotoStick into the USB port of the desktop or laptop.
- You will see a shortcut on the desktop labeled as Photostick, you need to double click on that.
- If you are unable to shortcut, then go to ‘Finder’ and double click on the PhotoStick which you will see under devices.
- For the installation, double click on the ThePhotoStickMac.
- Once the application is installed, it will launch on its own.
If you wish to use the PhotoStick on your handheld smart devices, install the ThePhotoStick app from the play store of your device.
Does The Photo Stick Work With Windows?
- Insert Photo Stick in any open USB slot.
- Find the USB inside File Explorer and open ThePhotoStick_Windows.exe.
- When the program loads in, simply click “Go”
How To Start Photostick on Mac
- Find an empty USB slot and plug ThePhotoStick in.
- Search for an icon on your desktop by the name of PHOTOSTICK (if by any chance the icon does not appear, you should then go to Finder and open it from the list of devices)
- Open the file called ThePhotoStick_Mac.
- After the program loads up simply click the button “Go”.
The PhotoStick Usage Manual
ThePhotoStick Default Settings
ThePhotoStick was designed to be flexible to meet your back-up needs. It can find and save a wide range of photo and video file types as well as allow you to specify where ThePhotoStick will search for photos and videos.
By default, ThePhotoStick will search for JPEG photo files. These settings can be changed. Please click here to view all the options available in ThePhotoStick.
- Default Start Search Locations (recursively searches from the start search location)
- On Windows: c:\
- On Mac: /Users
- Default List of Folders to Skip
- On Windows:
- C:\Program Files
- C:\Program Files (x86)
- On Mac:
- On Windows:
- Default Photo Types
- JPEG (*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.jpe;*.jfif)
- Default Options
- Consolidate all files into a single directory
- Photos saved to My_Photos
- Skip duplicates
- Consolidate all files into a single directory
Getting to know ThePhotoStick interface
- Main menu — allows for access to various features of ThePhotoStick, including your photos/videos, settings, logs, and checking for ThePhotoStick software updates.
- Status area — provides status messages before, during, and after a back-up is run.
- ThePhotoStick capacity chart — provides a quick snapshot of how much used and free space is currently on ThePhotoStick.
- Back-up statistics — provides information for your current back-up.
- “My Photos/Videos” button — clicking this will show your photos and videos that are currently backed up to ThePhotoStick.
- “Settings” button — clicking this will launch the Settings and Options window for ThePhotoStick.
- “View Logs” button — clicking this will show the back-up logs for all the previous and current back-ups that were run.
- “Exit” button — clicking this closes ThePhotoStick software.
- “Go!” button — clicking this starts a back-up of your photos and videos.
1. To start a back-up, simply press the green “Go” button.
NOTE: ThePhotoStick will find and save JPEG photo files. ThePhotoStick can also find and save many more file types if you choose.
NOTE: To see other default settings for ThePhotoStick.
Viewing files saved to ThePhotoStick
There are 2 ways you can view your photos and videos saved to ThePhotoStick:
1. From inside ThePhotoStick software (same for Windows and Mac):
2. From your Operating Systems File Manager:
ThePhotoStick stores your photo and video files on the USB stick in the directory path: <ThePhotoStick drive>\My_Files\<computer name>.
For Windows computers, for example, if you plug ThePhotoStick into a Windows computer with a computer name of mphillips1, and Windows assigns the drive letter F: to ThePhotoStick, the path to files backed up to it would be F:\My_Files\mphillips1\.
For Mac computers, ThePhotoStick is always mounted on the path /Volumes/PHOTOSTICK. So, if you plug ThePhotoStick into a Mac computer with a computer name of phillips-mac, the path to files backed up to ThePhotoStick would be /Volumes/PHOTOSTICK/My_Files/phillips-mac.
Example screenshots from ThePhotoStick running on a Windows computer named mphillips1:
Example screenshots from ThePhotoStick running on a Mac computer named phillips-mac:
Settings and Options for ThePhotoStick
ThePhotoStick offers several options to meet your photo and video back-up needs.
Accessing the Settings and Options
To access ThePhotoStick’s settings and options, open ThePhotoStick software and click on the “Settings” button.
ThePhotoStick will recursively search any directory paths specified in its settings. By default, ThePhotoStick will start at “c:\” on Windows computers and “/Users” on Mac computers.
Adding a Folder path to scan:
You can add additional search paths by clicking on the “Add…” button, browsing to and selecting the folder you would like to recursively search, then clicking “open”. You should now see the path added in the list of folders to scan. Click “Ok” to save.
Removing a folder path to scan:
To remove a directory path to search, select the folder path in the list, then click on “Remove Selected”.
Note: You can select multiple folder paths at the same time by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on another folder path.
For example, on a Windows system, if you do not want ThePhotoStick to search your entire drive, you can remove “c:\” by selecting it and then clicking “Remove Selected”. Then, click “Add…” to add a more specific path. In this case, we want to only search the “Pictures” folder. Click “Ok” to save.
Reset Folders to scan back to default:
To reset the folder paths back to default, click on “Reset To Default”. This will remove any added paths and set it back to “c:\” on Windows computers and “/Users” on Mac computers. Click “Ok” to save.
Adding a Folder path to skip:
You can add additional folder paths to be skipped and ignored by clicking on the “Add…” button, browsing to and selecting the folder you would like to skip, then clicking “open”. The folder you selected, plus any subfolders in that folder will be skipped. You should now see the path added in the list of folders to skip. Click “Ok” to save.
Removing a folder path to skip:
To remove a directory path to skip, select the folder path in the list, then click on “Remove Selected”.
Note: You can select multiple folder paths at the same time by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on another folder path.
For example, on a Windows system, if you do not want ThePhotoStick to skip the “C:\Program Files” folder, you can remove “C:\Program Files” by selecting it and then clicking “Remove Selected”. Click “Ok” to save.
Photo File Types
ThePhotoStick can find and save many types of photo files. By default, ThePhotoStick will find and save JPEG photo files, but it can find and save many more photo file types if you choose.
To add additional photo file types to find and save, click on the “Photo File Types” tab, and then check the box next to the photo file types you would like ThePhotoStick to find and save. Click “Ok” to save.
Video File Types
ThePhotoStick can find and save several types of video files.
To add additional video file types to find and save, click on the “Video File Types” tab, and then check the box next to the video file types you would like ThePhotoStick to find and save. Click “Ok” to save.
ThePhotostick has additional back-up options available. These can be accessed by clicking on the “Options” tab, making any option changes, and then clicking the “Ok” button to save.
Consolidate all files into a single directory — By default, ThePhotoStick will consolidate your photo and video files into a single folder for easy and convenient access. ThePhotoStick stores your photo and video files on the USB stick in the directory path: <ThePhotoStick drive>\My_Files\<computer name>. See Viewing files saved to ThePhotoStick for additional details.
Skip duplicates — When consolidating files into a single directory on ThePhotoStick, ThePhotoStick can skip any duplicates it finds. Often times, the same photos and videos can be saved in various places on your hard disk drive. Having “Skip duplicates” checked will result in only one copy of that file being copied to ThePhotoStick. If you uncheck this option and ThePhotoStick finds a duplicate file, it will copy the duplicate file to ThePhotoStick and rename it on ThePhotoStick to <filename>_copy-#.
For example, say there is a photo file called DSCF0566.JPG, and it is saved on your hard disk drive at C:\Users\ricky\pictures\DSCF0566.JPG, C:\photos\DSCF0566.JPG., and C:\Users\ricky\Desktop\pics\DSCF0566.JPG. ThePhotoStick will copy the first of these DSCF0566.JPG files, C:\Users\ricky\pictures\DSCF0566.JPG, as normal to ThePhotoStick as DSCF0566.JPG. When it goes to back up the next DSCF0566.JPG file, C:\photos\DSCF0566.JPG, it will see that a file called DSCF0566.JPG is already on ThePhotoStick, so it will analyze the file further to verify if they are true duplicates of each other. If they are, and “Skip duplicates” is checked, it will make note it found a duplicate but not copy this file to ThePhotoStick. If “Skip duplicate” is not checked or if the files are not true duplicates of each other, the file will be copied to your ThePhotoStick as DSCF0566_copy-1.JPG. The process is repeated again when it goes to save the third DSCF0566.JPG file, C:\Users\ricky\Desktop\pics\DSCF0566.JPG. It will see that there is a DSCF0566.JPG and DSCF0566_copy-1.JPG file already on ThePhotoStick, so it will check if this third DSCF0566.JPG file is a duplicate of DSCF0566.JPG or DSCF0566_copy-1.JPG. If so, it will not save it again. If neither is a duplicate, then it will copy it to ThePhotoStick as DSCF0566_copy-2.JPG. For this example, assume ThePhotoStick is running on a Windows computer named “mywincomp” and was given the drive letter F:.
|Original File Path on HDD||File Back-up Path on ThePhotoStick|
Exclude Photo/Video files smaller than — By default, ThePhotoStick will skip and not save any files smaller than 100kb. Generally, any picture or video files smaller than 100kb are system or application images and not user photos or videos. This value can be adjusted to any size that you prefer. For example, if you want all photo and video files saved no matter how small they are, you can change the value to “0”. Likewise, if you know your photos are all bigger than 2MB (the approximate size of a 8MP camera), you can change this exclude value to 2MB and fine tune the photo back up.
To view the advanced options for ThePhotoStick, click on “Show Advanced Copy Options…”
As you can see above, the Advanced Copy options are:
Maintain source directory structure — This option will not consolidate all photo and video files into <ThePhotoStick drive>\My_Files\<computer name>\My_Photos and <ThePhotoStick drive>\My_Files\<computer name>\My_Videos. With this option, ThePhotoStick will separate your photos and videos into the directories My_Photos and My_Videos, but it will maintain the entire path structure to the file. Also, because each file maintains its original directory path, there will never be a duplicate on ThePhotoStick USB stick, so skipping duplicates is not a selectable option when using “Maintain source directory structure”.
For example, say there is a photo file called DSCF0566.JPG, and it is saved on your hard disk drive at C:\Users\ricky\pictures\DSCF0566.JPG, C:\photos\DSCF0566.JPG., and C:\Users\ricky\Desktop\pics\DSCF0566.JPG. If “Maintain source directory structure” is selected, all three of these files will be saved to ThePhotoStick whether they are duplicates or not. They will be saved to ThePhotoStick in the following way. For this example, assume ThePhotoStick is running on a Windows computer named “mywincomp” and was given the drive letter F:.
|Original File Path on HDD||File Backup Path on ThePhotoStick|
Copy Thumbnails in iPhoto Library — On Mac computers, when this option is checked, ThePhotoStick will copy all the iPhoto Library thumbnails in addition to all the Master (original size) photo files. This option is less common since iPhoto will automatically generate new thumbnail images when importing the Master photo files.
Debug logging (Support Only) — On occasion, ThePhotoStick support may require more detailed logging when investigating an issue. This option turns on detailed logging and is only recommended to have on for small periods of time and as directed by ThePhotoStick support. Having it always on can impact performance.
How Many Photos or Files Can You Save on PhotoStick?
I am sure you have this question running in your mind. The answer to how many photos, videos, music files or documents you can store in PhotoStick simply depends on the model you buy.
- The base model comes with 8GB of space that is good enough to store up till 3, 500 high-resolution photos.
- The next model comes with 32 GB of space which is good enough to store 5,000 high-resolution videos.
- 64 The model gives you a storage capacity of 64 GB allowing you to save up to 30,000 high-resolution photos.
If you still think you want more space, then you must opt for the PhotoStick 128 model. This gives you a chance to save up to 60,000 high-resolution photos in its whopping 128 GB of space.
Where Can You Use it?
Another question at people frequently ask about PhotoStick is – where can I use it? Can I use it to backup photos and documents from my Windows 7 laptop? Can I backup videos and songs from my iPad?
The best thing about PhotoStick is that its compatible with almost all devices be it PCs, Macbooks, Android and iOS devices. This universal compatibility ensures that it can be used to backup photos, videos, documents, songs, etc from all kinds of devices. Even older versions of Windows – Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are compatible with PhotoStick.
ThePhotoStick works on the following Operating Systems:
Windows – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
Mac – Mac OS X Version 10.7 and later.
Android – Android OS Version 5.0 (Lollipop) and later
iOS – iOS version 11.3 and later
What Files Can The PhotoStick Find?
The PhotoStick can locate any photos, videos, documents and audio files saved on your hard drive and create backups of the same. ThePhotoStick will recursively search any directory paths specified in its settings. By default, ThePhotoStick will start at “c:\” on Windows computers and “/Users” on Mac computers.
The PhotoStick can find and save many types of photo files. By default, The PhotoStick will find and save JPEG and HEIC photo files, but you can select as many photo file types as you want for The PhotoStick to find and save.
When it comes to video files, The PhotoStick will find and save MOV & MPEG4 files by default. To add additional video file types, select as many video file types you would like The PhotoStick to find and save.
As far as documents are concerned, The PhotoStick will find and save Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Works files by default, but it can find and save many more document file types if you choose.
When it comes to audio files, The PhotoStick can find and save MP3, MPEG4, and Advanced Audio Coding audio files by default, but it can find and save other audio file types as well if you choose.
Who’s This for?
The PhotoStick is a good choice for anyone who wants to reduce the risk of losing photos, videos and important documents. If you’re like most people, your computer probably has copies of vacation photos, important documents and memorable videos. The cost of finding all your files on a fried or damaged hard drive is quite high.
The PhotoStick is also ideal for anyone who wants to free-up valuable memory on their devices, be it android devices, iOS devices or laptops & PCs. When you’re on vacation or on the go, the last thing anyone wants is to run out of memory. Plus, your device runs slower when the available memory is low. The PhotoStick solves both these problems by allowing you free up space.
Money Back Guarantee
The developers of ThePhotoStick understand buyer sentiments and know that no two buyers are the same. While some shopper might love the product, others might not like it so much.
If you receive a PhotoStick that has manufacturing defects, you can return it to the manufacturer. However, your return must be received within 30 days of the original shipment date. Returns received after 30 days of the original shipment date will not be processed and no refund will be issued.
Every product you return must be accompanied by an RMA Return Form. The return form must include your order number, name, and email of the person who bought ThePhotoStick, and right shipping address. Returns that do not include this specific information will not be processed and no refund will be issued.
There is another condition attached to returning the product. All returns must be in original condition with all original parts and packaging. Returns received without the ThePhotoStick device, the product packaging, and the insert card will not be processed. So, make sure to preserve the packaging of the product for at least 30 days.
Once the company receives your product, it will be inspected and accepted. The refund will be credited to the payment method that was originally used to purchase the item. Once the return is processed an email notification will be sent. Allow up to 30 days to receive the return credit.
Does Photostick Work Fast?
In most photo stick reviews online, users and other experts claim that the brand provides a quick and reliable performance because it only takes a minute to operate. But it depends on the number of files on your smartphone and other gadgets. While it finds lost files, it also searches for pictures, memorable videos, music, and documents. Plus, it can create a backup of your files on another computer or smartphone.
Does photostick work on more than one devices?
Well, if you have more than one device having useful information, it’s not a problem. The PhotoStick will take care of all your backup need, no matter what computer you have at home or in the office.When you use photostick on more than one device for backup, it organizes the videos, photos, and documents for you. Typical thumb drives can’t effectively do that. Costly external hard drives are no exception either.
Does ThePhotoStick Work with iPhone?
Yes, you can use the photostick with any iOS devices. Thephotostick is quite flexible and compatible with various devices. It’s free to download the application which is required to run along with the device. It means that there are no additional costs. From there, plug the gadget into your iPad, iPhone or Android. Although you may not use it for your phone at the moment, it might be a lifesaver in the future. To read and learn more about the Photostick mobile solution, visit our intensive photostick mobile review and buying guide.
- SIMPLE TO USE: Never run out of space on your phone again! With just one click, The PhotoStick automatically finds and backs up photos and videos on your iOS device.
- PRIVATE & SECURE: Maintains your privacy as photos and videos are stored securely on ThePhotoStick device, not on the cloud. Eliminates cloud storage fees!
- USE ON MULTIPLE DEVICES: The large 128 GB capacity is enough to store over 20,000 standard-sized photos and videos! Use it to backup photos and videos on all the compatible iOS devices you own.
- TRANSFER TO COMPUTER: Once your photos are backed up on The PhotoStick for iOS, simply connect the other end of ThePhotoStick to your computer’s USB port. It’s simple to view or transfer photos to any computer.
Does ThePhotoStick Work on an iPad?
A Photo Stick works like a USB flash drive on a Macintosh Computer or Windows PC. While it has a USB 3.0 connector on one side, it features an IOS Lightning connector on the other. With that, you will be able to easily use it on an iPhone or iPad. Also, it allows you to transfer a photo from a computer to an iPad and vice-versa.
How to Run Photostick on Your Windows computer?
Using photstick device on your windows operating machine is quite simple. Just plugin the storage stick on any USB port of the machine and wait for the OS to identify the new device. You can see the device name under the File Explorer. After that, you will need to click on ThePhotoStick Windows.exe so that it can access your computer. Then, a window will pop up. From there, just click the GO button and you are done.
How to Run ThePhotostick device on MAC?
If you have a trouble finding the device on your desktop, check that in Finder. The company also has a professional team that is known for its great customer service.
What is the difference between Photo stick and a Flash drive?
The difference between a Photo stick and a flash drive is pretty obvious. The major difference between them is that Photo stick is specifically designed to store and transfer media (photos and videos). It does not detect any other files apart from photos and videos; whereas a flash drive is a portable and removable storage device which is used to transfer any sort of data; a USB flash drive has no restrictions upon what it can store or transfer.
Photo stick comes with dedicated software which performs all the scanning and storage of media. Whereas a USB flash drive is an open storage device upon which any software can be installed.
How Many Photos Can PhotoStick Save?
A common question that many shoppers have is about how many photos and other documents they can back up with this device. The simple answer is that it depends on which model you buy. Amazon offers the base model, which is Photo Stick 8. This model offers 8 GB of storage, which is enough for storing up to 3,500 photos. The 64 model has 64 GB of storage and can hold up to 30,000 photos. You’ll also find the Photo Stick 128, which is the largest model available. It can hold an impressive 60,000 photos and offers 128 GB of storage space.
Benefits of Using Photo stick
- Productivity. All those hours that you allocated for sorting and organizing files would have been more useful if you did other productive tasks. Avoid spending hours on file organization by using this photo stick.
- Monthly expenses. With this photo storage stick, you can avoid paying monthly for cloud storage. You’ll only pay one time upon purchasing the gadget, and that’s it. Or if you’re using cloud storage, you can avoid paying for extra storage that your photos would have taken up. Instead, you can use it for other, more important files.
- Security. Avoid the pain and frustration of losing your precious photos just because you failed to back them all up. Keep it all safe from computer crashes or corruptions by doing constant photo backup using this stick.
Who Can Use The Photo Stick?
You don’t want to see the above image happen to your digital photos. Computer files can get corrupted, your computer can get a virus, possibly break down, get infected with malware or ransomware. Backing up your files is a must!
The Photo Stick is designed to be simple to use. People who are at ease using computers will still be impressed by the speed and efficiency of The Photo Stick. And, if you’re someone who’s not particularly comfortable with technology and computers, The Photo Stick has simple, plug-and-play technology that means you can use it too.
Even if you already back up your precious photographs onto the cloud or a traditional thumb drive, you can save time with The Photo Stick. Instead of spending time sorting through your files and folders to find the photos that you haven’t already saved, you can simply plug The Photo Stick into your computer and go do something else. The Photo Stick will sort through your files, pick out the photos, eliminate duplicates, and create a portable backup that you can take with you wherever you go.
12 Reasons why you should get thephotostick:
- Easy to use
- Saves precious photos
- Free Memory
- Use it on the go
- Good Value For The Money
- Good Software
- No Cloud
- Protect Against HDD Failure
- No Passwords
- Works Offline
- Works On All Devices
Does ThePhotoStick Need to Install Anything on Your Device?
No. it doesn’t need to install anything on your smartphone or computer. ThePhotoStick comes with all the necessary features. Just plug it into a USB slot. Then, it’s ready to go. Users don’t have to follow a complicated procedure. The brand is convenient and recommended for people without enough technical knowledge about the hard drive.
Where to Buy Photostick?
PhotoStick can be bought easily from the manufacturer or from Amazon.com. If you do not want to miss the alluring discounts, I recommend you to buy from the official manufacturer. You will be happy to find deals like Buy two, get one free, buy 2 and get another one at half the price. Order above $50 and enjoy free shipping in the United States or worldwide from the official manufacturer.
What are the alternatives?
ThePhotoStick is not the only photo backup device on the market. Other products may have the same functionality. If you search on Amazon, you will get a large variety of products. The following are some of the competitors in the market:
MemorySafeX is a new device designed using latest technology as a convenient way to backup files in seconds. It is also called MemorySafeX and Photostick and looks just like the flash drive that you already have. It works on a software that searches through folders to find images and videos you lost.
PhotoSave is a small USB drive that instantly backs up all your video & photo files on your Computer, Smartphone or Tablet! It’s easy to use, and does all the hard, time-consuming work for you! External storage of PhotoStick gives you 100% secure storage. You don’t have to pay a regular subscription as with most cloud storage plans. PhotoSave works automatically, it connects directly to your device and backups all of your files.
Picture keeper 4GB
Picture Keeper 4GB is another alternative. The PictureKeeper is very similar to a photostick. It comes in different versions and different sizes. There’s a PictureKeeper for iphone and android, PictureKeeper for Windows & Mac. It is portable and works more or less the same as photo stick. Unlike other flash drives, the Picture Keeper 4GB creates instant backups for your precious photos and videos. For you to use this flash drive, you will need to download an app on your computer and run it. However, this USB drive only comes with 4GB storage capacity.
InfinitiKloud is a flash drive that can assist you to stock all your memorable pictures, videos and media files into one single physical location without having to worry about your budget and safeguarding you from financial strain. A marvellous pocket-sized device capable of storing more than 300.000+ photos on this USB drive. Examine our Infinite Cloud (2020) review.
Using a normal flash drive is pretty easy. However, compared to a photostick you’ll lose a lot of time. You won’t be able to save photos directly from your phone. You can use a different flash drive capacity, however they are known to collect viruses. They don’t come with a software, so you’ll have to search through your files to find your pictures.
One benefit of a flash drive is that they aren’t expensive. But, most people use flash drives for storing other files. It is not recommended to store your pictures on a normal flash drive.
External Hard Disks are great because they offer a lot of space. You can buy up to 1 TB of storage. They aren’t as small as a photostick so you can’t really keep them in your pocket. You won’t be able to use them to backup photos from your mobile devices either. They aren’t expensive, but they aren’t the most convenient for photo backup.
We prefer an external hard disk only for file backup. A photostick should be used for photo backup.
Cloud Services & Online Storage
There are tons of cloud services offer to you by big companies. The problem with these cloud services is that we never really know how safe they are. If you have a slow internet connection it’ll take you a lot of time to upload the photos.
Here’s a small list of cloud services & online storage for photo backup:
- Amazon Prime
- Google Photos
- Google Drive
- Facebook Albums
This is our favorite alternative. Remember the old photo albums? Those of use that have them go through them some times to reminiscence old memories. We really like the old photo albums. Nothing bad to say about them. If you want to print your photos then you should definitely go on and do that. But, if you have thousands of photos that might be a hard thing to do. A photostick would be more convenient for that reason.
InfinitiKloud Vs PhotoStick
Both the PhotoStick USB gadget and Infiniti Kloud are unique gadgets for quickly backing up all your photographs and recordings with the assistance of a solitary snap. Both of these gadgets are similarly stunning and offer practically comparative advantages to the clients. In any case, the PhotoStick USB gadget starts to lead the pack by offering an AI programming the framework that can not just arrange the media documents dependent on various components and factors yet, besides erase the copy records while saving the best forms.
Furthermore, the PhotoStick USB gadget likewise offers more stockpiling for your media document than InfinitiKloud. In conclusion, the PhotoStick USB gadget also offers similarities with current cell phones. You can likewise utilize this gadget to rapidly move all the media records from your cell phones to this USB drive.
Consequently, the PhotoStick USB gadget starts to lead the pack and is a superior alternative among the two. It offers a higher extra room, better AI programming frameworks, and different advantages that InfinitiKloud doesn’t.
Photo Stick VS Flash Drive
Are you familiar with a photo stick and a flash drive? If not, then you need to know that they are different, although they have the same looks and functions, they work in a different way. Keep on reading to see the disparity between the two.
The Difference Between a Photo Stick and Flash Drive
the difference between a photo stick and a flash drive is simple. The photo stick is designed for transferring and storing media such as videos and images. On the other hand, the flash drive is made to transfer and store different types of data. It can be your removable and portable device that can back up your different files. There are no restrictions on storing data compared to the photo stick.
The photo stick comes with reliability and user-friendliness that can satisfy you. It has a dedicated software that stores and scans media files. Meanwhile, the flash drive can be the open storage device that you can use for installing software on it. It can be your efficient device for storing and transferring general data.
You must choose the device that suits your needs.
Photostick vs MemorysafeX
- Photo Stick has a storage capacity of up to 128GB while MemorysafeX has a storage of up to 64 GB.
- Photo Stick comes in different variants allowing you to get your exact preferred size. Available in the market today are the 8GB, 64GB, and the 128GB variants. With MemorysafeX, you are limited in getting different variations in size.
- MemorysafeX detects JPEG, MPEG4, MP4, MOV and PNG. On the other hand, most Photo Stick reviews indicate failure to detect some file formats.
- MemorySafeX encrypts and decrypts files, securing them. It allows you to play your music and movies directly to the thumb drive. Photo Stick allows you to share your photos or music directly to your social media.
- Photo Stick comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, while MemorySafex comes with a three-year guarantee.
- Photo Stick adapts perfectly to Mac OS X version 10.6 and more recent versions.
- Photo Stick measures 5.98 x 3.11 x 0.39 inches while
MemorySafe X measures 57mm x 49mm x 8mm.
- Memory SafeX comes with a USB and USB-Type Connector
What Makes The Photo Stick Different From Other Backup Methods?
Certainly, there is no shortage of backup methods you can use to save your photographs. You may already be using one of these:
- A typical, USB thumb drive that you bought online or in a store
- A cloud-based backup system
- Burnable discs
In theory, there’s nothing wrong with any of those methods. They all allow you to copy files onto them. However, there are some things that make The Photo Stick a better option for people who have a lot of photographs to preserve.
- The Photo Stick is specially designed to store your photographs safely and with a minimum of fuss.
- Instead of spending hours combing through your files and sorting through duplicates, you can let The Photo Stick do the work for you.
- The Photo Stick has plug-and-play technology, meaning that all you need to do is plug it into your computer and hit the Go button when prompted. No other backup method is that easy.
- The Photo Stick is greatly superior to disc storage because the largest size can hold up to 60,000 photographs.
- The Photo Stick can save a wide array of file types, including both photographs and videos. You can easily save JPG, PNG, GIF, MOV, and MPEG 4 file, as well as BMP, TIFF, and AVI files – and many more.
Photo Stick Troubleshooting
How To Reset Photostick To Factory Defaults?
If your PhotoStick needs to be restored to factory settings, you can use the Windows restore tool:
- Download the PhotoStick Restore Tool
- Plug your Photo Backup Stick into your Windows computer
- Run the pbs-restore.exe app and click the “Recover” button.
- If your Photo Backup Stick is not detected, please contact our support team.
If You Want Manual Restore Factory Setting in PhotoStick, Follow These Step –
- It will delete any thumbnail files it can find
- Delete the My_Files folder and all subfolders and files located in My_Files
- It deletes the entire ThePhotoStick folder.
Removing Duplicate Photos from the PhotoStick
PhotoStick is a pen drive used to back up photos with a single click. It comes in various sizes including 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB and a whopping 1TB! PhotoStick can be connected to any computer with the help of the standard USB port. Even though PhotoStick’s promos claim it can be used for backing up photos, it is equally handy in backing up documents, videos, music files.
The advantage of this small hardware device is it being optimized for media content, and thus it is ideal for backing up personal multimedia in order to guard against any accidental loss. This guide demonstrates how to weed out duplicate photos from PhotoStick with ease by providing 3 solutions for our readers’ benefit.
Solutions: The Native Method
The native method is the default way that can be used to eliminate duplicate photos while they are being copied to the drive. This method is reliable to a greater extent. In this solution, we will make use of the PhotoStick app that comes with the device itself. The software by default scans the entire computer and copies the photos to the drive. All the photos are copied to the same folder in the drive regardless of the location on the computer they are being fetched from, and thus the duplicate content is renamed to comply with rules imposed by Windows itself. Since only the earliest version of all images saved to PhotoStick, any duplicates aren’t accepted into the drive at all.
- Plug in the PhotoStick drive to the USB port.
- Now launch the installation file from the PhotoStick drive and install it.
- Once the PhotoStick software has been successfully installed, launch it.
- Navigate to the ThePhotoStick Settings and Options section and click the Options tab.
- Select both Consolidate all files into a single directory and Skip duplicates options
Have a Question? See Our FAQs
ThePhotoStick® is compatible with nearly all modern computers using Windows and Mac Operating Systems: Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
Mac: Mac OS X Version 10.7 and later.
The difference between a photo stick and a flash drive is that the photo stick is specially designed to backup and transfer media like images and videos. it does not any other file other than an image or a video. On the other hand a flash drive is used to transfer any type of data.
A Photo Stick is a USB device that provides a convenient way to backup files in seconds. It is specially designed to find all the hidden photos and videos on your laptop or computer. It contains a software that searches through all the folders to find images & videos.
Photo stick only comes in three types of capacity: 8 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB. The higher the number, the more pictures it can save. 8 GB can keep up to 3500 videos and pictures; the 64 GB Photo Stick can reach 30,000 pictures and video, while the 128 GB can archive a maximum of 60,000 pictures and videos.
Nearly all of them! It saves your standard JPEG, PNG, GIF, MOV, and MPEG4, but it also saves a vast array of file types as listed below:
JPEG (*.jpg, *.jpeg, *.jpe, *.jiff)
BMP (*.bmp, *.rle, *.dib)
TIFF (*.tif, *.tiff)
Camera Raw (*.tif, *.crw, *.nef, *.raf, *.orf, *.mrw, *.dcr, *.mos, *.raw, *.pef, *.srf, *.dng, *.x3f, *.cr2, *.erf, *.sr2, *.kdc, *.mfw, *.mef, *.arw, *.nrw, *.rw2, *.rwl, *.iiq, *.3fr, *.srw)
Photoshop (*.psd, *.pdd)
PCT File (*.PCT, *.PICT)
MOV (*.mov, *.qt)
MPEG4 (*.mpg4, *.mpeg4)
It’s as easy as 1,2,3!
To start on Windows:
Plug ThePhotoStick® into an open USB slot.
From File Explorer, double-click on ThePhotoStick®Windows.exe.
To start on Mac:
Plug into an open USB slot.
Double-click on the USB icon labeled as PHOTOSTICK.
Double-click on ThePhotoStick®Mac.
No, that’s what makes it so great! ThePhotoStick® does not need to install anything on your computer, nor does it require anything to be already installed on your computer.
ThePhotoStick® comes with everything it needs — you simply need to plug it into an available USB slot and it’s ready to run.
We use an average photo file size of 2MB for our calculation. We picked this size for our calculation because it is the approximate size of an 8MP photo saved in a .JPEG format. Some file sizes are much larger, such as camera RAW files, movie files such as .MOV and .MPEG4, and photos taken with cameras that can take photos greater than 8MP, so the number of photos that can be stored on ThePhotoStick® can vary.
Yes, it’s a great backup solution! Many people leave the ThePhotoStick® plugged in and do a quick and easy weekly backup to make sure they are continually protecting their memories.
All products are backed by our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, starting on the day of shipping. To be eligible for a refund, products must returned within 30 days and be in “new condition” in original / unopened packaging or have a manufacturing defect.
Depending on your country, it is possible that you will be charged one or more of these fees when you receive your order.
We ship orders out FAST, but we can’t control carrier transit times. For orders outside the USA, please allow 7-12 business days for your order to arrive. Delivery times will vary based on country.
ThePhotoStick Customer Reviews
The PhotoStick Review – Final Verdict
In this photo stick review, we did all the leg work for you. We hope we gave you enough information to make a buying decision. We went over the main benefits as well as some cons. If you are someone who wants to protect and save all those precious memories , then we suggest getting the photostick. Unless you want to spend 100’s of dollar and get someone to do it for you, or spend countless hours doing it yourself, get thephotostick.
PhotoStick is for everyone. You only require a USB Port to begin taking the backup of all the files. If you are looking for pocket friendly, security and convenience all in one gadget, then PhotoStick is best suited for you. It makes you free from the montly subscriptions of cloud storage. You do not require an internet connection to take a back up of your files with PhotoStick. Thus, Photostick is for everyone and will be highly useful to one and all.